A tenancy agreement is a legally binding document that outlines the terms and conditions of a rental agreement between a landlord and a tenant. In Alberta, Canada, landlords and tenants are required to sign a tenancy agreement before the tenant moves into the rental property.
If you are a landlord or a tenant in Alberta and are looking for a sample tenancy agreement, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will provide you with a tenancy agreement Alberta sample that you can use as a template for your own agreement.
Before we dive into the sample agreement, it is important to understand some key terms that are commonly used in tenancy agreements. These terms include:
1. Landlord: The person who owns the rental property.
2. Tenant: The person who rents the property from the landlord.
3. Rent: The amount of money the tenant pays to the landlord for the right to occupy the rental property.
4. Term: The duration of the tenancy agreement. This can be a fixed term (e.g. six months) or a periodic term (e.g. month-to-month).
5. Security deposit: The amount of money the tenant pays to the landlord as a security against damages and unpaid rent.
Now that you understand these key terms, let`s take a look at the sample tenancy agreement for Alberta:
THIS AGREEMENT made as of the ____ day of ____, 20__ between [Landlord Name], hereinafter called the “Landlord,” and [Tenant Name], hereinafter called the “Tenant”.
1. PREMISES: The Landlord agrees to let and the Tenant agrees to rent the following described premises: [insert address of rental property].
2. TERM: The term of this tenancy shall commence on [insert start date] and end on [insert end date]. This is a fixed term tenancy agreement.
3. RENT: The Tenant agrees to pay rent to the Landlord in the amount of [insert rental amount] per [insert rental period, e.g. month]. Rent shall be due on the [insert due date, e.g. first day of each month].
4. SECURITY DEPOSIT: The Tenant agrees to pay a security deposit of [insert security deposit amount] to the Landlord. The security deposit will be returned to the Tenant at the end of the tenancy, subject to deductions for damages or unpaid rent.
5. USE: The Tenant agrees to use the premises for residential purposes only and not to use the premises for any illegal purposes.
6. MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS: The Tenant agrees to keep the premises clean and in good condition and to promptly report any damages to the Landlord. The Landlord agrees to make any necessary repairs to the premises.
7. QUIET ENJOYMENT: The Landlord agrees to allow the Tenant to quietly enjoy the premises without interference from the Landlord.
8. SUBLETTING: The Tenant agrees not to sublet the premises without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
9. DEFAULT: If the Tenant fails to pay rent or breaches any other term of this agreement, the Landlord may terminate this agreement and evict the Tenant from the premises.
10. GOVERNING LAW: This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Alberta.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this agreement on the day and year first above written.
Landlord`s signature: _____________________________
Tenant`s signature: _______________________________
As a professional, it is important to note that using keywords such as “tenancy agreement Alberta” in the title and throughout the article can help improve search engine rankings for those searching for this type of content. Additionally, linking to relevant resources such as the Alberta government`s website can also improve the credibility of the article.